Luthemba Lethu Community Project started because of a need; the possibility of affecting people in need in a Correctional Facility, to make it a model institution and subsequently affect other Prisons in South Africa.
During 2006 a delegation comprising of Mr. Alred Matemane; Head of Modderbee Correctional Centre at the time, Gerhard Fortuin; Chaplain at Modderbee Correctional Centre, Pastor André Roodt and others went to Argentina to witness a program followed in their prisons. Pastor Juan Zuccarelli became a warden inside Olmos Prison to do what God called him to do. When the authorities saw the success he achieved, they offered him his own prison to run as a Christian Evangelical Institution. He called it Christ the Only Hope Prison. They have succeeded in bringing down the countries’ recidivism rate from 55% to 5%.
We came back to South Africa and established the Christ the Only Hope Section in F Block in Modderbee Prison.
- 2007 A fulltime pastor was appointed to run this ministry.
- 2010 Our first prison missionaries were sent to duplicate the model.
- 2012 Our first 24/7 Prayer Room was opened.
- 2013 Our first 12 inmates qualified as pastors, receiving diplomas inside Modderbee Prison.
- 2014 The second 24/7 Prayer Room opened.
- 2016 A Halfway House called Destiny House for ex-inmates was started.
- 2017 LLCP handed over the rehabilitation project to Maranatha Community Church.
- 2017 The Ministry was duplicated in Boksburg Correctional Center with Hope Restoration Ministries.
- 2018 LLCP register as a Service Provider inside Modderbee to work alongside Maranatha Community Church, doing a pre-releasing course to ensure the applicants qualify to enter the Destiny House skills training program.